21 Easy-Peasy Ways to Make Today a Great Day
I recently came across a lengthy quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson about making every single day the best day of the year! I read it over and over again because I couldn’t believe I had never seen or heard this quote before. The words were very simple — yet powerful! The meaning — we need to make the best of today every single day. Thus, I was inspired to write 21 easy-peasy ways to make today a great day!
Emerson said, “Write it in your heart that every day is the best day in the year. He is rich who owns the day, and no one owns the day who allows it to be invaded by fret and anxiety. Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities, no doubt crept in. Forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it well and serenely, and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense. This new day is too dear, with its hopes and invitations, to waste a moment on the yesterdays.”
Those are pretty deep thoughts, aren’t they? And so completely accurate if you want to live your best life.
So let’s dive into 21 easy-peasy ways to make today a great day. We can make the best of today — and everyday in our future! There’s no reason to waste our tomorrows! But sometimes it takes a little forethought and effort to maintain a positive attitude so let’s get started.
Ways to Make Today a Great Day
I write a lot about mindset and happiness, and making choices about how to live your life. But of course, I know it’s not always possible to be happy, happy, happy. There are things that happen in life that are devastating and unavoidable — you cannot ALWAYS be joyful and happy.
But if you wake up each morning with a clear intention of making the day as good as possible, you’ll be one step closer to making it a great day!
Furthermore, even on bad days, remember there are things you can appreciate.
- If you wake up stressed about something that occurred yesterday, you’ve allowed the past to get the best of you — let it go.
- If you start each day with anxiety, you will likely miss many awesome things — a child’s smile, a loved one’s greeting, even a bird singing outside your window.
- If you wake up with a negative mindset, it will be hard to move forward with your day in a positive manner. And who is going to pay the penalty for that? Both you and the people around you — potentially ALL DAY.
As Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote, “Write it in your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.” This means you must believe it and live it — you must wake up each morning with the belief that each day is the best day of the year. That way, you have a chance of having 365 BEST DAYS of the year. How wonderful would that be?
But you need to start each morning with a positive attitude and a genuine belief that you are ready to make today a great day!
As Emerson wrote, “He is rich who owns the day, and no one owns the day who allows it to be invaded by fret and anxiety.” We all want to OWN THE DAY — but we can’t do that if we wake with fret and anxiety from the days before. When you close your eyes at night, let the darkness wash away your troubles. Wake each morning with the belief in your heart that you will overcome your troubles.
“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities, no doubt crept in. Forget them as soon as you can,” wrote Emerson. I laughed when I read this part of Emerson’s quote. He must have had a sense of humor!
Some days, I have more than my fair share of blunders and absurdities — we all do! And sometimes I beat myself up for those mistakes, but I also know it’s essential to forget them as soon as possible. Otherwise, I would be crazy with worry and fret. I try to put my mistakes to bed each night when I close my eyes.
Emerson said, “Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it well and serenely, and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” This is rather self-explanatory but so well-written. Begin each day well and serenely… with a high spirit… don’t allow your old troubles to bring you down.
And finally, he wrote, “This new day is too dear, with its hopes and invitations, to waste a moment on the yesterdays.” We’ve all heard the advice — Yesterday is gone… tomorrow hasn’t arrived yet… so live in the PRESENT and make it beautiful. Every single new day is full of possibilities; don’t let anything spoil your chance to make it beautiful!
Now that we’ve been inspired by Ralph Waldo Emerson’s magical words, let’s look at 21 specific and easy-peasy ways to make today a great day!
How to Have a Good Day Everyday
I’m going to suggest 21 of my favorite ways to make the best of today, but there are also some obvious strategies that we should all do every day. Let me share those:
- First and foremost, practice the art of LETTING GO and not waking up with your troubles.
- Secondly, make it a consistent habit of getting proper nutrition, exercise, and sleep every day.
These simple, but important practices, will help you make the best of today — and everyday! Then little-by-little you can add some of the 21 strategies below to your daily routine to help make today a great day!
1. Decide What a Great Day Looks Like –Your “great day” may look different than the next person’s great day. Think about WHAT makes a day great for you and strive to make it happen! Does it include breakfast with family? Getting to the gym? Or maybe just getting to work on time?
2. Be Present — Find your Zen in the chaos of life and stay present in each moment. It helps keep your mind, body, and soul healthy. Reduce how much you multi-task, and pay attention to the little things around you. Pay attention to the people around you. Really listen to what people are saying. Focus on the moment.
3. Go for a Walk — Get outside in nature for fresh air and Vitamin D from the sunshine. It’s proven to help your mental, emotional, spiritual, and physical health.
4. Listen to Your Favorite Music — This one is super easy! Turn on the music in the car… in the shower… at your desk… something fun, or something relaxing. Choose what suits your mood and ENJOY!
5. Spend Time With Loved Ones — There are 12 aspects to a balanced life. Spending time with FAMILY and FRIENDS are two of them. It is critical to have positive social interactions and relationships with loved ones to maintain a healthy lifestyle that promotes your ability to make everyday awesome! So gather with your family or friends and make today a great day!
6. Watch a Sunrise or Sunset — So this one might not be possibly every day, but everyday you do it will be a great day!
7. Declutter — I’m not talking about spending time everyday cleaning. But you should take a few minutes each day to look around and get rid of anything that isn’t necessary. If it doesn’t bring you joy, toss it or donate it. Even clearing the old mail off the kitchen counter helps shift your mindset to a better place. This also helps create a more positive environment.
Related Article: How to Bring More Cozy into Your Life
8. Get One Important Thing Done — Strive to get one important thing done each day. It will help you feel more accomplished and positive to help combat any burdens or challenges.
9. Reflect and Meditate — This can look different for everyone. It is another aspect of a balanced life — the spiritual dimension. You can use self-reflection journal prompts to write your thoughts in a journal… or complete a bullet journal… you can do guided meditation… chakra meditation… you can chant or you can use affirmations for self-love… you can also do yoga. There are a variety of reflection and meditation practices that will help you develop and maintain a positive mindset so you can make everyday a great day.
10. Just Don’t Do It (SAY NO) — Part of a healthy self-care routine is learning to JUST SAY NO. Just don’t do what doesn’t serve your spirit. Politely decline without feeling like you need to give a reason.
11. Laugh More — This is a skill that requires a positive mindset. But be sure to look for reasons to laugh everyday.
12. Maintain an Attitude of Gratitude — Focus on what you have, not what you don’t have. Make it a regular practice to maintain a positive mindset. Think of it as a glass half empty vs glass half full mindset. Which are you? Is the glass half empty, or is it half full? The way you look at life impacts how you face each day, so be sure to face it with great positivity.
13. Get Dressed Up — No one really wants to get dressed up every day. But it sure makes you feel good if you put on some make-up, and maybe even some jewelry, while you’re wearing your raggediest sweat suit. Alternatively, a couple of days per week consider wearing something special and doing something unique with your hair. These little things can actually make you SMILE, plus they make you want to walk into a room with pride. You’ll be surprised how a little “extra” can give you a boost for the day and a hop in your step!
14. Avoid Stressful Situations — Take a breath… count to ten… walk away… avoid stressful situations. Sometimes it’s simply not possible, but there are times when it is not necessary for you to be involved in drama. Think about how you can change a situation if something feels stressful. Or, think about how you can change your attitude about a stressful situation. Did you know you can even be addicted to stress? Yep! Fortunately, there are many strategies that can help you avoid stressful situations.
15. Do Something Special for Yourself — Make the best of today by doing something special for yourself, even if it’s a small gesture or a treat. Just a little something can change the way you feel and shift your mindset. Of course, a big “something special” like a massage or pedicure every now-and-then won’t hurt anything, right?
16. Stimulate Your Mind — There are many different ways to stimulate your mind. You can read, do puzzles, or play games. Some people also like to learn new things, write, or travel. No matter what you do, it’s important to keep your mind active. When you’re bored, your mind can start to wander. This can lead to negative thoughts and emotions. Stimulating your mind can help you stay positive and focused on how to make today a great day!
17. Maintain a Positive Attitude — With the day-to-day challenges we face, it can sometimes be difficult to always maintain a positive attitude. This is especially true when you are going through tough times. But this is exactly when it’s most important to be positive. A positive attitude can help you get through the toughest of times with hope and perspective. It also helps you turn a yucky day into a great day! Remember, it’s all about how you look at things! It’s your choice!
18. Prioritize Your Work — Be sure to make a list of priorities for each day. You can create a list in your journal, or in your mind, but have a plan for exactly what must be done and what can wait. That way if you have an unexpected problem, you’ll be one step ahead of resolving the issue — because you won’t have to worry about what to leave undone.
19. Be Kind to Yourself and Others — This is the #1 way to make today a great day EVERY DAY. Don’t be so hard on yourself and others. Be flexible, encouraging, and gracious. Use your Magic Words (please, thank you, you’re welcome, etc), hold a door open for someone and smile at a stranger. Learn to live with kindness and gratitude in your heart. You get the idea!
20. Do Something Meaningful — Another aspect of a balanced life is community engagement. Spend some time volunteering in your community; help people who are in need. Pay attention to what’s happening in the world — I challenge you to be a difference maker! It’s good for the soul!
21. Hang Out with Good People — Your social circle has a significant impact on your mindset and attitude. Don’t hang out with people who bring you down. Choose to spend time with people who share your zest for life and positive mindset.
As you develop a mindset that YOU CAN make today a great day, remember that others are going through difficult times, too. Others are struggling to make everyday a great day. And others are trying to develop routines to help them improve their lives.
Make the Best of Today Quotes
I always try to include inspirational quotes in my articles here on Sassy Sister Stuff. I’ve been collecting quotes my whole life because they help me stay grounded and reflective about choices I make every day. These are some of my favorite Make the Best of Today inspirational quotes:
“Make today so awesome that yesterday gets jealous!”~ Unknown
“Today only happens once, make it amazing!”~ Unknown
“Whatever life may send your way — make the best of it. Don’t waste your time and energy worrying about it. Instead, find a way to do something about it. Learn from it, adjust to it, be strong, be flexible. And be your best in every situation.”~ Les Brown
“Don’t worry about a good today by thinking about a bad yesterday.”~ Unknown
“When you arise in the morning, think about what a privilege it is to be alive, to think, to enjoy, to love.”~ Marcus Aurelius
“Make today the best day possible. Let nobody steal your happiness. Stay positive and ignore the negativity around you.”~ Unknown
“Enjoy life today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come.”~ Unknown
“If we make everyday better than the one before, today will be the best day yet, and the greatest days ever will await us in every tomorrow.”~ Wes Fesler
“I have learned over the years that the nicest thing I can do is to say to myself, Good Morning Darling, I love you; we’re going to have a really great day today.”~ Louise Hay
“I wake up every morning at nine and grab for the morning paper. Then I look at the obituary page. If my name is not on it, I get up.”Benjamin Franklin
Final Thoughts: Make Today a Great Day
You may have recognized a pattern of behavior in the practices mentioned above. A lot of the strategies are related to love, kindness, positivity, and mindset. It’s no coincidence that Emerson begins his quote with “Write it in your heart…”
No matter what you do to make today a great day, make sure it comes from the heart and a place of kindness — to both yourself and those around you. A little bit of kindness can go a long way in making today a great day for everyone.
Pin to Pinterest for Later
Even during difficult times, it’s essential to maintain a positive, healthy mindset and put forth genuine effort to make the best of each day. It might not just happen by itself. You will need to implement and maintain at least some of the strategies mentioned above, and those written in Emerson’s quote.
I hope you’ve found the tips and suggestions in this article helpful in creating a mindset that you can make today a great day — everyday! And I hope when you wake up tomorrow, you make the best of the new day!
Have a wonderful day, my friends!
Love to ALL! ~ Susan
Thank you for the positivity and uplifting post! Going to make it a great day by cooking an amazing pasta dish and hanging out with some good friends tonight. Board games may be included! 🙂
Sounds like you are intentional about making a great day, for sure! So glad you enjoyed the post… I appreciate the feedback! xoxo:)
There are so many ways that you can take advantage to have control of your day and make it an enjoyable one. But people keep missing the opportunities at hand. Thanks!
Thanks for reading and supporting my website! I really appreciate it! xoxo:)
These are all fantastic ways to have a great day! Being kind and being present always help uplift me and keep things in perspective! Thank you fof sharing this great list!
Thank you, Meghan! I really appreciate your kind words and glad to know you found value in the content! xoxo:)
Beautiful, thank you Susan! I absolutely love that you mention deciding what a good day looks like for you, so important to get your perspective right on what matters to you. Also, doing something meaningful and hanging out with the right people. These are such a great start to having a good day!
Aaawww, thank you Stephanie! I really appreciate your kind words! I linked your gratitude article to one of mine because it will provide great user experience for additional resources! Gratitude and mindset are two of the most important aspects of how we live our life, right? Can’t say enough great things about your website! Enjoy your day! xoxo:)
You have hit a home run with this post. Thank you for sharing.
Thanks William! Appreciate your support and feedback! xoxo:)
This is a great post right from the start! I agree that starting your day on a positive note really helps. Also, it is very important to get the proper amount of rest, exercise regularly and follow a healthy diet. I don’t think people realize how these things affect their moods. Thank you for sharing this awesome post 🤗
Thank you Shelley… xoxo:)
I’ve been newly inspired by your post, Susan! While I start every day with meditation and eating a healthy breakfast, I still don’t feel uplifted enough to actually believe my day will be a good one. Or even a decent one, you know? I’ll be placing a few more steps in my morning routine thanks to your suggestions, namely #4, #8, and #12. 🙂
Especially #12. Without going into a long tangent, it’s been extremely tough to find things to be grateful for due to the things and people I’ve lost, but I am trying.
Loved this post, thank you! Shared on Pinterest as well!
I’m so sorry you’ve had a difficult time, Jean… hang in there… I’m glad you found some value in my article and really appreciate your feedback. This is why we write our thoughts, right? I’m glad we’ve connected! xoxo:)
I love this article and the positive message you’re sending! I love watching sunsets and spending some quality time with family and friends. Thank you for the inspiring article 🙂
Aaaaawwww, thank you Mariya! I appreciate the support and feedback! I especially love writing these kinds of articles that inspire people with positive messages…. xoxo:)