Never Force Anyone to Talk to You: 35 Quotes and Words of Wisdom
There is a saying that goes, “Never force anyone to talk to you.” It’s wise advice for many reasons but if you have ever experienced a fake friendship, a toxic relationship, or a forced interaction, you’ll understand it better.
Forcing a relationship, a conversation, or even a social interaction can be detrimental to your mental health and happiness. You are worthy of better. Don’t sacrifice your self-care and happiness to sustain an unhealthy relationship with someone who doesn’t care enough to talk to you.
Learn more from these words of wisdom and inspirational quotes that convey the message of, “Never force anyone to talk to you!”
Related Article: 60 Uplifting Quotes and Encouraging Words for Women
Never Force Anyone to Talk to You
You must remember that you are worthy of interactions and relationships that are meaningful and sincere. It’s a matter of self-care and self-preservation.
There is no reason to force someone to talk to you if they don’t respect you enough to WANT to talk or interact with you. You deserve better.
Forcing a relationship speaks volumes about your lack of self-worth; you are seeking to engage with people who don’t care about you or benefit you in any way. WHY?
Are you getting the point? YOU ARE WORTH MORE.
These negative situations prevent you from developing healthy relationships with people who genuinely value you and want to be in your life.
10 Reasons to Never Force Anyone to Stay in Your Life
Let’s explore 10 concrete reasons why you should never force anyone to talk to you, or be in your life if they don’t want to be:
1. Happiness should not be based on a forced, non-mutual relationship. It should feel natural and authentic for both parties so you can grow and experience joy together.
2. You are wasting your time and energy on someone who isn’t invested in you. This can only lead to heartache and pain as your self-worth is damaged time-and-time again with questions and doubts. Your time and energy could be spent on positive interactions and joyful experiences.
3. You are sacrificing your overall mental health and wellbeing. Your need to control and force a relationship requires a lot of emotional energy. Don’t do this to yourself or another person. You are only going to make matters worse.
4. Forcing a conversation or relationship is a form of emotional abuse. You are both wasting emotional energy because you are expending energy to force what you want, while your target is trying to avoid the situation. Issues of privacy and boundaries create serious conflict.
5. Friendships should feel easy and comfortable, not forced. Any mental health professional will tell you that friendships should feel good and not require much effort. Forced communication will create arguments and toxic communication skills.
6. You’re creating a toxic environment. With the constant back-and-forth push to force the situation, you are damaging an already bad situation. It’s not going to improve with forced communication.
7. Effective communication is tricky, but essential. Forcing a conversation will create feelings of disrespect and anxiety. It will be awkward and unproductive. This can become a habit very quickly and soon you could be relating to others in a negative way.
8. You may not know what the other person is going through. Especially if you are trying to force an acquaintance to talk to you, you are not always going to be aware of their personal circumstances. You could be doing serious damage to someone-in-crisis by being forceful or intimidating.
9. You are damaging your self-worth and self-confidence. Don’t put yourself into a negative situation where the other person doesn’t want to be there. You’re going to walk away questioning WHY and what’s wrong with ME?
10. You’re obviously not on the same page. If you have to force someone to talk to you, this should be quite clear. You should focus your energy on people who share your interests, desires, dreams, and values.
These tips not only apply to those of you who may want to force someone to talk to you, they also apply to situations where you may feel a desire to force someone to love you.
Don’t force someone to love you. Have more dignity and self-compassion for yourself. Move on with your life with someone doesn’t want to be with you or talk to you.
Related Article: 99 Inspirational Quotes About Life and Struggles
Never Force Anyone to Talk to You Quotes (25)
Keep these inspirational quotes handy if you are struggling with the feeling that you want to force someone to talk to you. Reflect on the situation and consider these great words of wisdom:
“Never chase a person that doesn’t know your worth because the moment you catch him you will always feel you were never good enough.”~ Shannon L Alder
“If it comes, let it come. If it stays, let it stay. If it goes, let it go.”~ Nicholas Sparks
“Happiness doesn’t have to be chased…it merely has to be chosen.”~ Mandy Hale
“You can’t force someone to keep their word, or to communicate, or to realize that something special is in front of them.”~ Keyshia Cole
“In life don’t force anyone to talk to you… And don’t neglect anyone who always wants to talk to you.”~ Amita
“The more you try to impress, the more you become depressed, and the more they get tired of your coercion. It doesn’t make them love you, instead, they’ll see you as a little child, trying to draw a senseless picture on a piece of paper, begging people to look at it and admire it by force. You can persuade someone to look at your face, but you can’t persuade them to see the beauty therein.”~ Micheal Bassey Johnson
“The moment you feel like you have to prove your worth to someone is the moment to absolutely and utterly walk away.”~ Alysia Harris
“The most painful thing is losing yourself in the process of loving someone too much, and forgetting that you are special too.”~ Ernest Hemingway
“If you walked away from a toxic, negative, abusive, one-sided, dead-end low vibrational relationship or friendship – you won.”~ Lalah Delia
“Trust yourself and walk away from situations and people that don’t have your best interest at heart.”~ Ben Ruston
“So long as you are still worried about what others think of you, you are owned by them. Only when you require no approval from outside yourself can you own yourself.”~ Oprah Winfrey
“If they don’t chase you when you walk away… Keep walking!”~ Nitya Prakash
“Do your best, then adopt a ‘whatever happens, happens’ mindset. Don’t try to force things. Just let go and allow the right blessings to flow.”~ Marcandangel
“You will never gain anyone’s approval by begging for it. When you stand confident in your own worth, respect follows.”~ Mandy Hale
“Before you look for validation in others, try and find it in yourself.”~ Greg Behrendt
“You have to accept the fact that some people are never going to be for you. Treat them with respect, but you don’t need their approval to fulfill your destiny.”~ Joel Osteen
“You’re giving your personal power away every time you seek validation from someone else for who you are.”~ TJ MacGregor
“Don’t force someone to make time for you, if they really want to, they will.”~ Unknown
“If someone wants you, nothing will keep them away, but if they don’t want you, nothing will make them stay.”~ Unknown
“Believe in yourself! Have faith in your abilities! Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers you cannot be successful or happy.”~ Norman Vincent Peale
“Don’t force people to love you, to chat with you, to talk with you; it’s a sign to know who is the right person for you. The right person always finds a way to connect with you.”~ Neha Jha
“Don’t force anyone to talk about how they are feeling or to tell you something. Just give them their space and time and if they feel like telling you then they will tell you on their own.”~ Neha Maurya
“You can’t force raging water to be calm. You have to leave it alone and let it return to its natural flow. Emotions are the same way.”~ Thibaut
“There are people who can walk away from you… let them walk. I don’t want you to try to talk another person into staying with you, loving you, calling you, caring about you, coming to see you, staying attached to you… Your destiny is never tied to anybody.”~ TD Jakes
“Never force yourself to have a space in anyone’s life because if they really know your worth, they’ll surely create one for you.”~ Unknown
Related Article: 55 Awesome Self Growth Quotes to Inspire Your Personal Development
Final Thoughts: Never Force Anyone to Talk to You
By now it should be clear that you should never force anyone to talk to you. People on the receiving end of your forced efforts will develop resentment toward you, plus it will most likely impact your other friendships too.
Forcing someone to do anything is not a good idea. When you do, you’re only driving that person away from you and making matters worse.
Talking should be a two-way street. If the other person is a family member or close friend, consider giving them time and space. They may come around. Maybe consider asking a trusted friend or family member to help, but don’t reveal too much private information.
If the person is merely an acquaintance or work colleague, you may not get your conversation or desired outcome. You may need to accept that they are not going to talk to you. But trust the process and know that it’s best this way.
If you find yourself feeling like you need to force people to talk you often, you might want to ask yourself these questions:
- Why would you want to be friends with someone who doesn’t want to be friends with you?
- What do you gain from forcing people to talk to you if they don’t want to be friends with you?
- Is this a pattern of behavior that aligns with control issues?
Love yourself enough to let go. Value your time and energy. Respect the other person’s boundaries. And in turn, you’ll be demonstrating self-respect, self-worth, and confidence. You’ll be OKAY with time.
Take the high road and keep things positive — for your own sense of self-preservation. Time will heal the pain you may feel. It wasn’t meant to be.
Love to ALL! ~ Susan
Have You Ever Wanted to Force Someone to Stay in Your Life, or Talk to You?
Please Share Your Thoughts in the Comments:)