35 Fun International Day of Happiness Activities
Did you know March 20 is designated as International Day of Happiness?
Happiness is something we all seek to achieve, both individually and collectively, so I’m going to provide you with 35 International Day of Happiness activities that are simple and fun!
True happiness does not come from ‘things’ or material possessions. The best kind of happiness comes from within.
What is Happiness?
Sandi Schwartz writes that “happiness is about feeling satisfied and content, and connecting with others in our community. It is about learning, and challenging ourselves with realistic goals. It is about opening our eyes to new people and experiences. It is about stopping to cherish the little things, and being grateful for every moment we have.”
I could not have written a better definition of happiness! Sandy is a science writer, positive psychology and environmental expert, and mom blogger who seeks to bring happiness into her world, and the world of others, from a variety of resources. To learn more from Sandy, you can visit her blog here. She has written a fabulous article about International Day of Happiness!
To put it simply, true happiness is a feeling of contentment and peace. We can accomplish that through an attitude of gratitude and looking for the good around us each day.
Use this day to focus on activities that can guide you toward a place of genuine happiness and then continue to build on that goal as you move forward in life. Happiness is a mindset that can be developed through a variety of activities.
35 International Day of Happiness Activities
- Participate in random acts of kindness without expecting anything in return.
- Take a walk in nature and use your five sense to connect with the world around you: sight, smell, sound, touch, and taste.
- Read a happy book. What about a Dr Seuss book? Who doesn’t feel good when they read a Dr Seuss book?
- Watch a happy movie, or your all-time favorite movie.
- Listen to happy music. Rediscover music that makes you smile.
- Make a list, happiness board, vision board, or journal about everything that brings you happiness.
- Pick up the phone and call someone you have not spoken to in a while. Someone who would appreciate hearing from you!
- Create a 30-day calendar of daily activities you will do to create happiness into your life, and the lives of others, for the next month.
- Play a board game with your family.
- Spend time looking through photos from the past. Enjoy the moments.
- Cook someone a meal and deliver it to them.
- Dance. Anywhere.
- Leave Happy Notes wherever you go!
- Hang out with your pet.
- Begin a 30-Day Happiness Challenge from Pinterest.
- Paint Rocks with special messages and hide them in your community for people to unexpectedly find.
- Take a nap.
- Visit the International Day of Happiness website and learn more about how this day began and how it is celebrated around the world.
- Learn something new or visit someplace you’ve wanted to visit.
- Donate to a local food bank or charity.
- Spread the word about International Day of Happiness to promote happiness and mental health wellness.
- Do Loving Kindness Meditation.
- Visit a local park or beach and enjoy the sounds of children playing.
- Create a 30-day Happiness Affirmations guide to use for the next month.
- Visit happiness.com and learn more about happiness and mental health.
- Write down 10 things you feel grateful for in life and why.
- Visit with a neighbor you haven’t caught up with lately.
- Contact 3 people on social media and tell them how much you appreciate them and why.
- Pull out a recipe you haven’t made in a while and cook! Then share or enjoy!
- Make time to do something kind for yourself. Something for self care.
- Find positive stories in the news/internet and share them with others.
- Visit, volunteer, and/or donate at your local animal shelter or pet rescue.
- Visit my.happify.com and learn more about happiness.
- Read about the country of Denmark and their cozy hygge lifestyle and learn why they are the happiest people in the world.
Related Article: Intentional Ways to Improve Your Happiness
Did You Know This About Happiness?
Happiness is a skill you can build with consistent practice.
Happier people are healthier and live longer.
You have the ability to control your happiness.
Happy people have healthier relationships and enjoy new experiences.
Happiness is directly impacted by gratitude.
Happiness is connected to the amount of empathy you feel for others.
Mindfulness is connected to happiness.
Happiness is a choice. Although our circumstances can make life challenging at times, overall we have a choice how to receive, perceive, and react to circumstances. If we train our brain to respond calmly and keep every circumstance in perspective, we can achieve a life of happiness under any circumstances. Keep working on it! You got this!
Love to ALL! ~Susan
Never heard of this but I LOVE IT SO MUCH !!!!!!!!!!These are some amazing activities! Thank you you for sharing.🌸
Aawww……thanks, Whitney! Appreciate the kind feedback! Glad you enjoyed it! xoxo
Never heard of this but I LOVE IT SO MUCH !!!!!!!!!!These are some amazing activities! Thank you for sharing.🌸
You can comment as much as you want! LOL…. thanks Whitney! xoxo
I totally agree that Happiness is a choice!! Very inspiring post, Thank you for sharing all those “happy” tips and thoughts 🙂
Aaawww…….so glad you enjoyed the tips and activities! Thanks for the feedback! xoxo
What a positive and upbeat post. I love it! Happy international day of happiness!
Aaawww…..thanks Rachael! I appreciate the kind words! So glad you enjoyed it! xoxo
Aaawww… thank you so much for the feedback! Love your blog! 💜
After reading this post I wished many people for International Happiness Day. It’s a great reminder and sometimes we get caught up in our lives that we forget the importance of choosing happiness, and more importantly inner joy. So, Thank You!
Aaawww, that’s so cool! I’m so glad it resonated with you! xoxo