Self-care is an essential aspect of maintaining a healthy and balanced lifestyle. It is a great way to prioritize your physical health, emotional health, and mental health, as well as your social and spiritual wellness. Proper self care activities can help you feel more relaxed, focused, and energized to take on the world.
With the fast-paced nature of modern life, it’s easy to forget to take care of yourself — I’m sure you know that feeling! However, taking time for self-care is crucial to your overall health and happiness. In this article, we will explore great self care weekend ideas that will help you reset for the new week — unwind, rest, relax, and recharge — so you’re ready to take on anything in the new week! We will also discuss why it’s important to spend time on self-care and how it can benefit your life in numerous ways. So, let’s dive in!
- Self-care is not just a luxury but a fundamental aspect of holistic well-being, covering physical, mental, emotional, social, spiritual, environmental, occupational, and financial aspects.
- We should prioritize relaxation on the weekend because it gives us time to unwind, relax, and recharge after a long week, and reset for a new week.
- By dispelling misconceptions and highlighting that self-care need not be time-consuming or selfish, we understand that simple, regular self-care practices can lead to a balanced and fulfilling lifestyle.
Why is Self Care Important to Your Life?
Self-care is essential for maintaining a healthy and balanced lifestyle. Engaging in self-care activities can help you reduce stress, improve your mood, and boost your energy levels. It can also help you reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke, and cancer.
Taking time for self-care can help you recharge and feel more relaxed, focused, and energized. This is especially important if you have had a busy week or are feeling overwhelmed by everyday life. Self-care can also help you foster personal growth by giving you time and energy to reflect on your goals and aspirations.
By taking time for yourself, you can gain clarity and perspective on your life and make positive changes. Spending a restful weekend engaging in self-care activities can help you feel more refreshed and ready to tackle the week ahead. It can also help you feel more connected to yourself and others, which can improve your social activities and relationships.
So, don’t forget to prioritize self-care in your life and make it a regular part of your daily routine.
Kinds of Self Care
There are 8 pillars of self care that you should address when you are planning your self care practices:
- Physical Self-Care: nutrition, exercise, sleep
- Mental Self-Care: mindfulness, self-talk, therapy
- Emotional Self-Care: gratitude, journal, self-awareness
- Spiritual Self-Care: meditate, nature, yoga
- Social Self-Care: connections, boundaries, communication
- Environmental Self-Care: declutter, safe, cozy
- Occupational Self-Care: balance, learn, work
- Financial Self-Care: budget, savings, spending
You’ll notice that all of these areas are addressed in the self care weekend ideas below. Be sure to address all of these areas in your regular self-care practices.
Preparing for a Self-Care Weekend
When you choose a weekend to spend on self-care, make sure you don’t have any weekend plans on the calendar. Plan for at least one whole day for self care. It can be self-care Saturday or self-care Sunday, but preferably the whole weekend. You’ll want to have plenty of time to indulge in as many self-care practices as possible.
Set boundaries for your family and friends, put your electronic devices away, and get your household chores done early. Plan the weekend ahead of time so you have everything you need and want for your special time. Use this time to think about self care practices you can do on a regular basis in your life. Ideally, you should start planning time every day to spend on self care. Journaling, daily affirmations, meditating — these are simple things you can do for yourself!
Now let’s move on to self care ideas that you can do on the weekend!
Cozy and Fun Self-Care Weekend Ideas
- Put on relaxing background music as you go about your day: Listening to music can help you unwind and reduce stress. You can search for playlists like “lofi beats,” “chill vibes,” and “spa” on Spotify. I love country music, so I have several playlists for relaxation on iTunes.
- Have a spa day at home: You can create a spa-like atmosphere at home by lighting scented candles, playing soft music, and indulging in a relaxing bubble bath. It’s the perfect time to do a face mask and take a long bath.
- Take a nap or practice good sleep hygiene: Getting enough sleep is essential for your physical and mental health. You can take a nap or practice good sleep hygiene by going to bed and waking up at the same time every day.
- Diffuse essential oils for the weekend: Many people find that diffusing essential oils help relieve stress and tension, and clear the mind. They may also have physical benefits such as clearing sinuses, reducing nausea, and promoting better sleep. Do some research about how they work and how to use them. Then get started!
- Get together with friends: Try a new restaurant for lunch and spend time catching up on life. Being with friends helps reduce stress levels and gives you the opportunity to relax.
- Plan a road trip: There are many reasons why traveling is important to your self care and wellness. Even a short weekend trip can help you improve your quality of life. Plan a road trip for a long weekend to help restore and refresh your mindset. Maybe even consider taking your family:)
- Binge watch a favorite Netflix show: When was the last time you snuggled on the sofa under a cozy blanket and binge watched a great TV series? I just did it last week with the latest and greatest 8-episode series on Netflix. It’s certainly good for clearing the mind and resetting.
- Take a long shower: Hang some eucalyptus in your shower, put on your favorite music, grab your softest towels, and lock the doors so no one can bother you. Enjoy a nice long shower with some peace and quiet. (Eucalyptus can be toxic to animals so be sure to learn how to prepare it properly for your shower.)
- Go on a nature walk: Check the weather and plan a quiet walk around your local park one Saturday. Use your senses to smell, hear, see, and touch the beauty around you. Breathe in and out, filling your lungs with fresh air and positive energy. You’ll start to feel less stress before you know it!
- Sleep in late Sunday morning: Make arrangements with your famlly to sleep late! On Saturday night, change your bed sheets, put on a new silk pillowcase, turn off your alarm clock and prepare for a late morning on Sunday.
- Take a relaxing bubble bath: A bubble bath can be a relaxing and soothing way to unwind. Add scented candles, essential oils, luxury bath products, and soak in the tub for a while. Be sure to let everyone in your home know not to bother you:)
- Buy yourself some fresh flowers: Buying yourself some fresh flowers can be a fun experience, and then you have them in your home for several days to see and smell. Flowers can bring you a sense of joy.
- Enjoy a hobby: Hobbies are a great form of self-care but we often neglect to find extra time for our favorite activities. Do something you used to enjoy or go to the craft store and find a new hobby. Make time for your creative endeavors.
- Buy some plants for your work space: Plants can help refresh the air and give you a sense of calm in your work space. They also require water and sunlight, which means you’ll need to make time to care for them:)
Personal Growth Self Care Weekend Ideas
- Meditate to clear your mind: Meditation can help you relax and improve your mental health. It can help clear your mind and create space for self-compassion. You can try using a meditation app if you’re new to it.
- Make a vision board: A vision board is a collage of images that represent your goals and aspirations. It can help you stay motivated and focused. Create a vision board that expresses your authentic self.
- Do a digital detox: Unplugging from all devices for the weekend can help you recharge mentally and improve your sleep quality.
- Read a good book: Snuggle into a comfortable spot with a good book. Create a cozy book nook with great natural light and essential oils or candles. Reading can help you disconnect from everything and feed your soul.
- Practice mindfulness for your entire weekend: Being in the present moment will give you opportunities to see the beauty around you and learn to feel gratitude. Use all five of your senses while practicing mindfulness.
- Make a to-do list: Getting organized can help reduce stress. Make a to-do list to start getting organized with all the tasks you’ve been putting off. Putting them in writing will help you feel more accomplished and ready to work on these tasks. Setting priorities can help you ease anxiety and worries. You can even start this weekend.
- Go to a yoga class: Yoga is one of the most relaxing activities you can do for yourself. It’s great for your mind, body, and soul. Find a class in your local community and plan to attend every weekend to help you reset for Monday morning.
- Create positive affirmations to use daily during the week: Dedicate time this weekend to creating a list of positive affirmations. Make it a habit to start your day with affirmations that will help you create and maintain a positive mindset.
- Enjoy time coloring: Get an adult coloring book (or free pages from the Internet) and appropriate coloring tools to enjoy quiet time expressing yourself with colors.
- Develop a gratitude list: Make a list of things that you are grateful for in your life. Developing an attitude of gratitude is a great form of self-care.
- Journal: Writing can be a way to express yourself and your feelings. It’s also relaxing and supports your personal growth through self-awareness.
- Listen to a podcast: Listening to a podcast is a form of mental self-care. You can choose something you enjoy such as crime shows, or self-help podcasts. Or even funny podcasts that get you giggling.
- Declutter your space: A cluttered space can lead to mental clutter and low mood. Spend time decluttering a space that you enjoy.
- Create a budget and plan for savings: Financial wellbeing is a form of self-care so take time this weekend to work on your budget and make sure you have a plan for savings. Monitor your weekly spending, credit card statements, and bank accounts.
- Write a letter to your future self: You should be living your life today with intention and have plans for your future self. Write a letter to your future self about the obstacles you’ve overcome and how you got to where you are. Express your self-pride and self-love.
- Write a letter to your younger self: Write a letter to your younger self about what you’d like her to know and learn throughout life. Include all the things you’ve learned on your journey to become the person you are today.
Self Care Weekend Ideas with the Family
- Spend time in nature: Spending time in nature can help you reduce stress and improve your mood. You can go for a long walk, have a picnic, or simply hang out in the park. Invite your family members to come along for quality time together and to get some fresh air.
- Cook your favorite meal: Eating your favorite foods can help you feel happy and satisfied. Alternately, you can try a new recipe or order food from your favorite restaurant.
- Plan a mini-vacation for your family: Spending time with loved ones can help you feel connected and supported. You can plan a weekend getaway or simply hang out with family.
- Have a family movie night: Set up the family room with blankets and pillows, popcorn and drinks, and a good family movie. Turn down the lights. Snuggle and relax with the family as you all watch a movie together.
- Make a healthy breakfast for your family on Saturday morning: Use the time to teach your family about the importance of nutritious meals and how the right foods can help your body and mind stay healthy.
- Go to the local farmer’s market: As an extension of your healthy breakfast family time, take your family to the farmer’s market to explore local produce and products. This would be the perfect opportunity to learn about farming cultures and different lifestyles.
- Enjoy a game night with your family: Get out the board games and cards. Then gather the family in the living room to play games and eat popcorn for the night. Enjoy many laughs together and take the time to do a social media detox, too.
- Create a family vision board: Spent quality time together creating a vision board of things you and your family would like to do in the future — places you’d like to go and experiences you’d like to enjoy together.
Common Misconceptions about Self-Care
There are some misconceptions about self care that we should not believe. Let’s take a quick look at them:
- Don’t confuse self-care with indulgence. Self care is a necessary component of health and wellness. Don’t let people make you feel guilty about your self care practices because they believe self care is just indulgence.
- Self care is selfish. This is one of the most highly recognized misconceptions, especially from older generations of women who aren’t familiar with the importance of self care. Self care is actually a form of positive selfishness that makes a difference to you and everyone around you.
- One size fits all. Your self-care needs are different from your friends or loved ones. Everyone has different needs and should confidently do what they need to do for self-care.
- Self-care is time-consuming. You don’t need to take time away from anything or anyone else in order to do your self care practices. Many of them can be done alongside your regular duties and responsibilities throughout the day.
- Self-care is a quick fix. Self-care should be a lifelong practice that serves as a tool for managing stress, mood, and overall well-being. It’s not a magic solution that solves all your problems. Instead, self care is an important part of a balanced, healthy lifestyle.
Final Thoughts: Self Care Weekend Ideas
I hope you’ve found these self care weekend ideas helpful. Remember that self care is vital for your wellbeing and balance in life. Relaxing on the weekend is a great way to reset for the next week.
Enjoy these rejuvenating self care weekend ideas that nourish your mind, body, and soul. Discover blissful relaxation and be well-prepared for the coming week!
You may be interested in these Related Articles about Self-Care:
- 27 Spiritual Self Care Ideas to Awaken Your Soul
- 21+ Ways to Practice Emotional Self Care and Wellness
- 15 Reasons to Fall in Love with Taking Care of Yourself
- 157 Positive Self Care Affirmations to Start Prioritizing YOU
Love to ALL! ~ Susan